Dosimetry Badge-Do's and Don'ts
Dosimetry Badge Do's
- Attend radiation safety training prior to requesting a badge. Please view our training schedule.
- Complete the RASCAL post-test online. Initial training must be completed before you receive your badge and refresher training must be completed annually afterwards.
- Non-Human Use (animal care, researchers, irradiation, etc.): Complete RASCAL course TC0070.
- Human-Use (NYSPI, NYPH workers, etc.): In lieu of completing the online test, you may arrange annual refresher trainings for your staff with the Radiation Safety Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, you must complete RASCAL course TC0070.
- Pick-up new dosimetry badges ONLY after attending the radiation safety training and completing the RASCAL post-test online.
- Return all dosimetry badges on a timely basis. In order to properly monitor occupational exposure as well as prevent late charges, badges must be returned within 22 calendar days after the end of the wear period. Note: Wear end dates are printed on all badges below your name.
- Report all lost badges to the Radiation Safety Office by providing the Employee Changes & Cancellations form.
- Always indicate deletions on the packing list that is enclosed with the badges.
- Inform Radiation Safety when there are any badge coordinator changes.
- Keep all radiation safety badge exposure reports sorted in a binder for regulatory audits.
- If you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant, you are encouraged to declare your pregnancy to the Radiation Safety Office. Declaration of pregnancy is voluntary and will be kept confidential. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Radiation Safety Office at (212) 305-5359.
Dosimetry Badge Don'ts
- Do not share dosimetry badges.
- Do not discard any dosimetry badges.
- Do not use your dosimetry badge at another institution and do not wear a badge from elsewhere while at Columbia University.
- Do not tamper with dosimetry badges.
- Do not mail dosimetry badges directly to the badge company; all badges are to be returned to the Radiation Safety Office.
- Do not make any change requests to the badge company; all changes must be communicated directly to the Radiation Safety Office.
- Do not return used badges enclosed in the original clear wrap package, used badges should be out of package. If badges are unused they should remain in their original clear wrap package.
- Do not return your badge holder. If a badge holder is lost, you may request a new one by contacting the Radiation Safety Office.
Return all dosimetry badges to:
Radiation Safety – CUMC EH&S, Mail Code: 70
Revised September 2013