There are two ways to obtain a Certificate of Fitness for Supervision of Chemical Laboratories (C-14): In person at FDNY headquarters or a Self-Certification program given here at CU, known as the Alternate Issuance Program (AIP).
Certificate of Fitness (C-14) Requirements
- Applicant statement (filled out at time of exam).
- Fire Department form A20 (filled out at time of exam).
- Masters or Doctoral degree in a science related field.
- Bachelors degree plus 2 years of experience in operation of chemical laboratories
Note: All claimed experience must be post baccalaureate. Any experience gained prior to the receipt of the degree will not be accepted toward meeting the AIP requirements.
- Photocopy of Diploma in English or a copy of transcript showing degree earned with date.
- Study material and pass short multiple-choice test (70%).
- Additional paperwork and photo session prior to taking examination.
The self-certification program will allow us to accomplish our goal with regards to Laboratory Supervisors as mandated by the New York Fire Department regulations.
Certificate of Fitness Application (A-20)
Study Materials for the Certificate of Fitness Examination for (C-14)
Certificate of Fitness test is given on site:
In Person Certificate of Fitness (C-14) Program Requirements:
If you do not meet the education and experience requirements for Self Certification Program, you may take the Examination for the Certificate of Fitness for The Supervision of Chemical Laboratories (C-14) anytime at Fire Department Headquarters at 9 Metro Tech, Brooklyn N.Y. For study material, requirements, directions and further information go to the New York City Fire Department website at:
**Please note: Reference material should be studied before exam date.**
Certificate of Fitness Renewals:
- If you are currently in the EH&S Certificate of Fitness database, your renewal will automatically be processed and paid for by Columbia University. Disregard renewal notices mailed to your home. Call EH&S to verify that your name is listed in the database.
- If you discover that you are not in the EH&S database, EH&S will then enter your name and all renewal fees will be paid by Columbia University.
- If your Certificate of Fitness is expired by less than 1 year, call EH&S to renew your C of F, which will be paid for by Columbia University.
- If your Certificate of Fitness is expired for more than 1 year, you will be required to retake the C-14 test.
For information on G-97 (Certificate of Fitness for Storage and Use of Cryogenic/Liquid Gases) please click on the following links:
For information on G-46 (Certificate of Fitness for Handling and Storage of High Pressure Non-Flammable Gas Cylinders)
please click on the following links:
If you have any questions, please contact the EH&S office at (212)854-8749 (Morningside) or (212)305-6780 (CUMC)
For translating help email email@example.com or go to http://www.columbia.edu/cutta