Emergency Procedures - CUMC
The Columbia University Medical Center Emergency Management Plan addresses the planned response to extraordinary events such as man-made and natural emergency situations including fire; hazardous spills; loss of water, steam, electricity, elevator service; explosions, as well as noxious fumes, gas leaks and civil disorder.If there is a FIRE
- Immediately activate the Nearest Alarm Box
- Call Security Office (212) 305-7979
- Follow Procedures for Fire Safety & Emergency Response to Fires and Explosions
- Determine if spill is manageable or unmanageable.
- If spill is manageable, follow Manageable Spill Procedures and call EH&S at 305(5)-6780.
- If spill is unmanageable, follow Unmanageable Spill Procedures and call EH&S at 305(5)-6780.
- If spill is after business hours (M-F, 9am-5pm), call Security Office (5-7979) and follow After Hour Spill Procedures.
- If there is personal contamination, follow Personal Contamination Guidelines
Work related injury or illness14KB
Click here to find out what to do in case of a work related injury or illness.
Accident Report Form for Worker's Compensation Benefits
Cardiac Arrest Procedures In the event of a cardiac/respiratory arrest at the Health Sciences Campus, there will be a response either by the NYPH cardiac arrest team or EMS depending on which building the arrest occurs. Click here for more info.
Work related illnesses7KB
Click here to find out what to do if you become ill while at work.
Medical Surveillance Policy
Columbia University Medical Center, in its commitment to the health and safety of its personnel, has established a medical surveillance program to address work place hazards including exposure to biological, chemical and physical agents. Click here for more info.
For SDS's, click here