Regulated Medical Waste Disposal Services Arrangement
Columbia University Morningside Campus is enhancing its existing service arrangement with Stericycle, Inc. the University’s preferred vendor for regulated medical waste disposal services.
Starting on Tuesday, April 11th, Stericycle, Inc. will be bringing its services directly to your lab. Every Tuesday and Friday between 11am – 2pm Stericycle will be on-site to remove regulated medical waste from your lab. Please help us ensure a smooth transition into this new program by following a few basic instructions:
- Lab must ready their medical waste for safe handling and disposal.
- Labs must tie red bags closed and engage interlocking lid on grey medical waste containers
- Snap closed lids on sharps containers
- Lab should roll properly containerized waste on dollies into corridor outside of lab door between 9am and 11am on Tuesdays and Fridays. Medical waste must not be rolled out on the night prior to service.
- Lab should place full sharps containers along side of or on top of the full, closed grey medical waste containers in the corridor.
- Stericycle will replace the grey medical waste containers on a one-for-one, each lined with 1 red bag.
- EH&S will provide each lab with a supply of 8-gallon and 2-gallon sharps containers. Additional containers will be available in the Biology Stockroom and the EH&S Office.
To avoid any problems in service, please take note of the following cell phone numbers that you should use to reach us with any issues if we can’t be reached in the office (212) 854-8749.