Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) provides expert guidance and timely service to the University Community through our commitment to health and safety. Employing best practices and collaboration, and by building long term relationships, we promote a productive and safety conscious work environment.
Columbia University is committed to establishing and maintaining a healthy and safe work environment for our staff, students, neighbors and surrounding communities. Through the recognition, evaluation, and control of personal and environmental hazards, the University strives to eliminate individual risk and reduce the environmental impact of its activities. EH&S offers a broad range of services and actively develops partnerships with faculty and departmental personnel to ensure a safe work environment and compliance with University policy and applicable regulations in the most efficient manner possible. These endeavors are realized through programs such as personnel training, chemical hygiene plan, biological safety, environmental safety, fire safety, occupational safety, and asbestos and lead management in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Setting an example for effective health and safety programs;
- Minimizing risk of exposure to hazardous chemical, physical or biological agents;
- Minimizing risk of work related injury and illness;
- Minimizing risk to the environment; and
- Realizing these goals with a minimum burden on education and research activities.